- Paperback: 330 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (November 30, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1789341094
- ISBN-13: 978-1789341096
Mastering Vim: Mastering Vim, reviewed by Bram Moolenaar, the creator of Vim, covers usage of Vim and Neovim, showcases relevant plugins, and teaches Vimscript
Vim is a ubiquitous text editor that can be used for all programming languages. It has an extensive plugin system and integrates with many tools. Vim offers an extensible and customizable development environment for programmers, making it one of the most popular text editors in the world.
Mastering Vim begins with explaining how the Vim editor will help you build applications efficiently. With the fundamentals of Vim, you will be taken through the Vim philosophy. As you make your way through the chapters, you will learn about advanced movement, text operations, and how Vim can be used as a Python (or any other language for that matter) IDE. The book will then cover essential tasks, such as refactoring, debugging, building, testing, and working with a version control system, as well as plugin configuration and management. In the concluding chapters, you will be introduced to additional mindset guidelines, learn to personalize your Vim experience, and go above and beyond with Vimscript.
- Get the most recent Vim, GVim, and Neovim versions installed
- Become efficient at navigating and editing text
- Uncover niche Vim plugins and pick the best ones
- Discover multiple ways of organizing plugins
- Explore and tailor Vim UI to fit your needs
- Organize and maintain Vim configuration across environments
- Write scripts to complement your workflow using Vimscript
By the end of this book, you will be sufficiently confident to make Vim (or its fork, Neovim) your first choice when writing applications in Python and other programming languages.