The Art of Writing Efficient Programs
- Paperback: 464 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (October 22, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1800208111
- ISBN-13: 978-1800208117
The Art of Writing Efficient Programs: Get to grips with various performance improvement techniques such as concurrency, lock-free programming, atomic operations, parallelism, and memory management
The great free lunch of “performance taking care of itself” is over. Until recently, programs got faster by themselves as CPUs were upgraded, but that doesn’t happen anymore. The clock frequency of new processors has almost peaked. New architectures provide small improvements to existing programs, but this only helps slightly. Processors do get larger and more powerful, but most of this new power is consumed by the increased number of processing cores and other “extra” computing units. To write efficient software, you now have to know how to program by making good use of the available computing resources, and this book will teach you how to do that.
The The Art of Writing Efficient Programs book covers all the major aspects of writing efficient programs, such as using CPU resources and memory efficiently, avoiding unnecessary computations, measuring performance, and how to put concurrency and multithreading to good use. You’ll also learn about compiler optimizations and how to use the programming language (C++) more efficiently. Finally, you’ll understand how design decisions impact performance.
- Discover how to use the hardware computing resources in your programs effectively
- Understand the relationship between memory order and memory barriers
- Familiarize yourself with the performance implications of different data structures and organizations
- Assess the performance impact of concurrent memory accessed and how to minimize it
- Discover when to use and when not to use lock-free programming techniques
- Explore different ways to improve the effectiveness of compiler optimizations
- Design APIs for concurrent data structures and high-performance data structures to avoid inefficiencies
By the end of this The Art of Writing Efficient Programs book, you’ll not only have enough knowledge of processors and compilers to write efficient programs, but you’ll also be able to understand which techniques to use and what to measure while improving performance. At its core, this book is about learning how to learn.
[ Exclusive Offer! Order Angel White Natural Dark Spot Corrector Now. Get Lowest Price & 60 Day Return Policy. Huge Discounts Available! Bravo Goods Special Offer Expires Soon. ]